Life is full of situations that invite stress. While we cannot always control what’s happening around us, we can control how we respond. Stress management is about taking charge: of your lifestyle, thoughts, emotions, and the way you respond to problems. No matter how stressful your life seems, there are steps you can take to relieve the pressure and regain control.
Faculty and staff are invited to take the Stress Buster Challenge to learn a variety of strategies and techniques that will empower you to take actions to manage stress effectively. Participants who complete tasks and check-ins on time will be entered to win a variety of great prizes: 2 grand prize winners of one 30-minute massage, 5 elite prize winners of two Regal movie tickets and 15 sweet prize winners of free coffee or tea at any campus cafe!
Challenge runs February 12 – March 2
Registration is now closed.
The Stress Buster Challenge will focus on taking action to manage stress, creating opportunities for laughter and humor, and making yourself a priority. Different strategies and techniques will be offered to help you find what works best for you. Click on each of the images below to learn more.
- A three-week challenge designed to help you learn a variety of strategies and techniques that will empower you to take actions to manage stress effectively.
- Each Monday, participants will receive a challenge (action item) email
- Week #1 challenge: take action to manage stress
- Week #2 challenge: infuse laughter and humor into your life
- Week #3 challenge: make yourself a priority
- Each Thursday, participants will receive a check-in notification email (check-in will be a brief online form)
- Each Friday, participants check-ins are due
- Participants who complete each challenge and check-in by the deadlines will be entered to win one of several great prizes. The winners* will be chosen at random after the challenge has been completed. (*Please note: winners agree to have picture taken with prize to be displayed on wellness site). The prizes are:
- 2 grand prize winners: one 30-minute massage
- 5 elite prize winners: two Regal movie tickets
- 15 sweet prize winners: free coffee or tea at any campus cafe
|Week #||Dates||Receive challenge email||Receive check-in email||Check-in deadline|
|1||February 12 - 16||February 12||February 15||February 16|
|2||February 19 - 23||February 19||February 22||February 23|
|3||February 26 - March 2||February 26||March 1||March 2|
The Purpose of Stress
Emotions are signals to help us recognize problems. Stress hormones help us fight-or-flee when we are in danger. But our body’s stress response can become a problem when it constantly signals danger about issues that aren’t necessarily a threat, or it grows to the point of overwhelming our health, well-being or clear thinking.
Why Practice Stress Management?
Your mind deserves better than to be loaded down with the never-ending job of worrying! Some stress can be beneficial and may lead to actual problem-solving, but a lot of our stress is unnecessary and even harmful.
Effective stress management, on the other hand, helps you break the hold stress has on your life, so you can be happier, healthier, and more productive. The ultimate goal is a balanced life, with time for work, relationships, relaxation, and fun—and the resilience to hold up under pressure and meet challenges head on. But stress management is not one-size-fits-all.