The University Wellness Initiative supports the health and wellness of Syracuse University faculty and staff by providing them with programs and resources to make healthy choices, and by fostering a culture of wellness. By promoting wellness within their departments, Wellness Champions are an integral part of this initiative.
- Liaison – between the Wellness Initiative and individual departments. “Go-to” wellness person for department.
- Motivator – engage employees to be healthy and to effectively manage work-life balance, through on campus programs and awareness.
- Promoter – of wellness programs and activities
- Recruiter – of faculty and staff to participate in programs and activities. Set a recruitment goal for each program or event.
- Role Model – by making healthy lifestyle choices and maintaining work-life balance.
- Supporter – of Wellness Initiative efforts and offer volunteer time, if possible.
- Promote wellness programs and activities and share communications:
- Post flyers and share emails to a distribution list of people in your department
- Reserve a “Wellness Message” in staff meetings
- Create a wellness bulletin board in your area and keep up to date
- Encourage staff to check out the Wellness website regularly (be familiar with the site yourself)
- Attend Wellness Champion meetings.
- Solicit feedback from coworkers/participants for process and program improvement. Communicate successes, updates and information to the Wellness Team.
- Participate in wellness programs and activities each year.
- Identify potential ideas, strategies, and programs for enhancing wellness and a healthy culture within your department.
- Initiate walking groups at lunch/breaks
- Encourage stretch breaks throughout the day
- Post healthy nutrition messages in lunchrooms or break rooms